cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Workday workdayid for the same journal line and no journal line audit trail

davidmccandless
New Contributor II

This is more a Workday question than Fivetran question, but I'm hopeful some Workday customers on Fivetran can help.

Big picture question:

Do you know of an object that shows an audit trail history of journal lines, or at least linking journal lines together as they're posted, unposted, and reposted w/ different details?

Why do I ask?

I'm extracting journal lines to my data warehouse incrementally via report-as-a-service (RaaS) and having a filter for `last updated moment >= 7 days ago.`

I was under the (apparently bad) assumption a journal line would only have ONE `workdayid`, so I made `workdayid` a unique, primary key in my data warehouse table and downstream logic.

However, I've found as my controller has taken posted journal lines and updated them (specifically unposted, changed accounting date and reposted), that I have an ENTIRELY new value of `workdayid` for the new journal line.

This breaks my data model's assumptions.

Having worked with ERPs like Salesforce, I thought, 'Surely I can find something to tie these old and new journal line `workdayid` together - something like an audit trail, or something like a field `linked_line_workdayid`

But I've had no such success.

Back to the big picture question.

Do you know of an object that shows an audit trail history of journal lines, or at least linking journal lines together as they're posted, unposted, and reposted w/ different details?

Assuming I can't find an audit trail or a way to link related lines, my brute force solution is to have another RaaS set up that grabs all posted journal lines for all time (no filters), but literally the only field in the report is `workdayid.` Let's pretend I dump this to a table `stage.currentlines.` Then, when transforming my raw staging data to reporting ready tables, I would filter to `workdayid` only when values of `workdayid` in `stage.currentlines.`

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey, @Toby-Metcalf , scrappy work around is getting the job done.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Toby-Metcalf
Community Admin
Community Admin

Thank you for asking your question @davidmccandless - I am making internal inquiries.
Fivetran Community and Workday customers, please share your best practices.

Cheers,
Toby

@Toby-Metcalf , I appreciate your help.

I haven't heard anything on this post, or my question on Workday Community - https://collaborate.workday.com/t5/Financial-Management/Multiple-workdayid-for-the-same-journal-line...

So, I'm going to implement the brute force 'work around' solution I described in my original post.

Thanks!

Good day @davidmccandless 
I am sorry I do not have an answer yet and appreciate your follow-up.
Please let us know if your work around is successful.

Cheers,
Toby

Hey, @Toby-Metcalf , scrappy work around is getting the job done.